July 24, 2009

Things are Looking Up

So, on my last voyage to our nation's capital, I left my Coach bag (seriously, I wouldn't use the brand name at all, except that it was expensive!), containing my Coach wallet ($!), my driver's license(s, don't ask), a checkbook, 2 debit cards, a credit card, and various other artifacts of life that inevitably collect themselves in the zippers and hidden pockets of my belongings on the Metro.

This was, of course, supposed to have been a great day. Bales and I were looking at apartments and getting very excited about actually being big people. I also secured a (paid!!!) internship at a company about which I am very excited (the internship as well as the company itself). I had met the HR woman before, and I was told that they wouldn't hire me entry-level because they essentially only hire people that have interned for them, and in rare cases, for other companies that do similar work. In very rare cases, they look at other people's resumes. Rare.

So, I have high hopes for this (PAID!!!) internship. Again, I'm excited about the company, excited about the work, and excited about my prospects for staying there long term.

Then I left my purse on the Metro.

Good. God. It was an incredible pain to get home. For future reference, if you're planning on doing any air travel, I would recommend having a state issued ID. Just, you know, to make things easier. Regardless, I did get on the plane. And the flight was on time, and I was home, and replaced my ID, got a new checking account number, put fraud alerts on the three national credit bureaus, et cetera.

We did not sign a lease, forcing us to push back the ideal August 1 moving date (though it may be best anyway, given that I start my (PAAAAAAAAAAAID!!!!) internship in September) and return to the city in early August.

Yesterday I came home from good old HBH, drained, prepared for what I had chalked up to be "the greatest nap of all time."

I got an email.

The purse has been turned in! I swear to God, I don't know how I got this lucky. To be honest, at this point, it's just stuff--I've already replaced my credit cards and whatnot, but that "stuff" amounts to $300 worth of leather and countless ticket stubs that, you know, I want. And am psyched about having returned to me.

The online form on which I reported my lost item to Metro asked how much money I would guess was in the purse. I said $40, a rough estimate. When I called Metro after getting the email that it had been returned to figure out my options on getting the purse back, they told me I had $32 in there. The woman apologized to me, saying that someone must have taken some of the cash.

I laughed out loud.

No comments: